Search 2.0

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Austin: A big city with a small-town freeway


The Daily Beast came up with some intricate mathematical formula that I won't even try to explain to compile a list of the 75 Worst Commutes in the United States and right there at No. 4 -- the fourth most congested spot in the entire U.S. of A -- is northbound I-35 at Riverside Drive in Austin. Having been stuck in that mess more times than I care to mention (and, by the way, southbound is no great shakes either) all I can say is I would hate to find myself in one of the top three.

Here's what the Beast quoted one local reporter as saying:

“It’s the most traveled stretch of roadway of Austin and in the state,” says Joe Taylor, traffic reporter for News 8 Austin. “It’s quirky. It was designed for a small town, and we’ve grown into a very large city.”

One thing I can't understand is why Dallas does not have one spot on this list. I mean, have these guys ever been on eastbound LBJ Freeway between Webbs Chapel and North Central Expressway between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. any weekday? Look, Houston's Loop 610 (No. 12), Fort Worth's 820 (No. 15) and San Antonio's 410 (No. 38) made the list! I think I have the answer. Much of the Beast's information comes from GPS devices on 18-wheelers and I must admit I don't see that many of those on LBJ at that time--just millions and millions of cars, too many of which are misusing the HOV lanes.

And either Boston's Southeast Expressway is ranked way too low (No. 14) or else they made significant changes to improve mobility since the last time I drove it.

No comments: