Search 2.0

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Boz Scaggs: America's Van Morrison

Thanks to the great Mike Lindley for reminding me about one of the greatest rock 'n' roll albums of all times -- Boz Scaggs' self-titled first album he recorded at the legendary Muscle Shoals studio in 1969. He was accompanied by those incredible studio musicians -- Barry Beckett on keyboards, Roger Hawkins on drums, guitarists Jimmy Johnson and Peter Carr and, of course, Spooner Oldham on organ. To that lineup, Scaggs added the legendary Duane Allman on slide guitar.

When friends used to gather at my place in the late '60s and early '70s, I would put this album on the turntable, unannounced. I would just let it play. Every single person who heard it came to me to ask me about it and every single one of them purchased it the next day.

The cut featured here is the last song on the album, a powerful way to bring to a close one helluva great LP. Check it out:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this album so much! I think that Boz did such a good job with composing this album and making the sound so rich. I wrote about it on my music blog if you want to check it out here is the link for you. http://dorkyzard.com/album-review-boz-scaggs-boz-scaggs/