Search 2.0

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The resurrection of Robert

I was late jumping on the Robert DeNiro bandwagon. I didn’t climb aboard until I saw him in Mean Streets in 1973. I had missed his earlier work with Brian DiPalma. In fact, I still haven’t seen Hi Mom. But in the DeNiro became one of my favorites, if not my favorite, actor in the ‘70s, the ‘80s and through much of the ‘90s. But after Ronin, it seemed the DeNiro magic was gone. I defied anyone to name one – just one – decent film he had made since the turn of the century.

Now, a dozen years into this century, that film may be on the horizon. I know I shouldn’t judge a film from its trailer, but this one shows real promise. DeNiro co-stars with Paul Dano, a DeNiro for this age, Julianne Moore, Olivia Thirlby (Leah in Juno), and Lili Taylor in this film Being Flynn.

No comments: