Search 2.0

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The truth is out there, but will we ever find it?

The next "X-Files" movie to be released July 25 will be called "I Want to Believe." Diehard fans of the television series know that those words were contained on the poster Fox Mulder displayed in his subterranean FBI office. The words appear on the poster along with the image of a flying saucer.

I mention this only because X-Files creator Chris Carter has said the new movie will not deal with the extra-terrestrial mythology that ran through much of the original series, that the movie will stand completely on its own. "It's a story that involves the difficulties in mediating faith and science," Carter told the Associated Press. "It really does suggest Mulder's struggle with his faith."

Carter has touched on faith-based issues during the run of the television series but most of those themes dwelled on Mulder's partner, Dana Scully. They were also some of the dullest programs in the series.

For the most part, I have been a X-Files fan. I have the complete 9-season series on DVD, but I don't own the original movie. I wasn't that happy with the film. I want to believe this one will be better.

No comments: