Search 2.0

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Chalk it up to the traditionalist in me

I have no idea what the stadium where the Texas Rangers play is called. To me, it's Arlington Stadium, although I do remember one time it was called "Ameriquest Field" or some such. The Delta Center in Salt Lake City now has an instantly forgettable dot com name. There's Minute Maid Park in Houston (which used to be Enron Field and now has the nickname of "The Juice Box.")

Yep, buying the naming rights to athletic stadiums is a big deal. I understand that when the Mets move into their new stadium, located adjacent to the old one, it will be called Citi Field and not Shea Stadium. I can live with that.

However, in my mind, there are three stadiums that must remain with their original names -- Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium (even the new one must be called that) and Wrigley Field. I bring this up only because real estate magnate Sam Zell, who now owns the Chicago Cubs and its home field, Wrigley, is seriously considering selling the naming rights.

And you know what? I don't think there's anything we can do to stop him. But here's what we can do. We can join in a worldwide effort to make sure that it is always referred to as Wrigley Field. I know I won't have any resistance from this from Cubs fanatics. They won't call it anything else but Wrigley. But I am imploring newspaper writers and editors the world over to join in this crusade.

I have heard there is one thing in my favor in this effort. The City of Chicago has apparently slapped a historic landmark designation of some sort on Wrigley Field that even protects the famous red marquee over the entrance. As long as that sign remains proclaiming the structure "Wrigley Field, Home of Chicago Cubs," I think everyone could legitimately refer to it as such, regardless of Zell'z zealotry.

No comments: