Search 2.0

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Some news for the fans of the Harry Potter films

I have not read one -- not a single one -- of the Harry Potter books, but I have seen the films and, for the most part, I have really enjoyed them, mainly because of the way the special effects are effortlessly infused and the fact that they refuse to condescend. I did follow some of the events surrounding the release of seventh and final novel in the series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," which, at 759 pages, was apparently the longest one in the series.

Because of that length (and, of course, not because of the possibility of increasing the revenue stream from this profitable series), Warner Bros. has decided that the final film will be released in two parts, with "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" coming out in November 2010 and "Part II" hitting theaters in May 2011. The movies will be filmed concurrently with David Yates, director of the fifth and sixth films, also handling the final two. Steve Kloves will also be back as the screenwriter.

The main drawback I see to this is that this is a radical departure from the format of the films in which each one has covered one school term at Hogwarts Academy. But, as I understand it, author J.K. Rowling has approved of splitting the story.

The final book apparently contains an epilogue that describes the main characters 19 years after they have left Hogwarts. It will be interesting to see if his is translated into "Part II" and, if so, who will play the parts of the almost 40-year-old Harry, Hermione and Ron. I know I speak for millions when I say I can't conceive of anyone else in these roles except Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Ron Weasley, respectively. By that time, these three actors will have spent at least half their lives in these parts.

No comments: