Search 2.0

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why I'll be rooting for Texas Tech Saturday

I know. I bleed burnt orange and an Oklahoma victory would give my beloved Horns a better shot at the Big 12 title game and perhaps a BCS championship invite. But all that is beyond Texas' control -- it's in the hands of the BCS gods and frankly I don't trust those pagan deities. You see, if Oklahoma beats Tech and Oklahoma State, and Texas defeats A&M, then there's a three-way tie for first place in the Big 12 South. In that case, the team with the highest BCS ranking plays Missouri for the Big 12 championship. See what I mean? Only Texas Tech controls its own destiny.

You may also think it's strange for me to be rooting for Tech because of my absolute dislike for Red Raiders coach Mike Leach. In fact, there hasn't been a coach I have despised as much since Barry Switzer ran a haven for football gangsterism in Norman.

But here's my logic. Tech defeats OU and there is no doubt who wins the Big 12 South. Tech then goes on to play Missouri in the Big 12 title game, which Tech wins 148-96 only because it has a slightly better defense. That sets up a BCS Championship game between Tech and Florida, which romps over Alabama by four touchdowns in the SEC title game. Florida vs. Texas Tech. Now that's a game I would love to see. It could be the most entertaining BCS championship since Texas/USC. It won't be a game for the ages like that Rose Bowl was simply because there will be no one on the field with the talent of a Matt Leinert, a Reggie Bush and especially the incomparable Vince Young. But then I don't expect to see another college football game to measure up to Texas/USC in my lifetime. All I'm saying is Texas Tech-Florida could be a the second best BCS championship game ever.

But my motivation is deeper than that. Suppose Tech beats Florida in that game. Now I'm convinced this is Leach's last year at Tech anyway, but if the Raiders beat Florida I can imagine the University of Tennessee offering Leach the eastern half of the state, his likeness sculptured on a pedestal placed atop Lookout Mountain, a place in the Country Music Hall of Fame -- anything and everything to convince him to come to Knoxville. If he can beat Florida with the limited talent available to him at Tech, the thinking at Tennessee will be, imagine what he could do with the resources available to him at Tennessee. I'm pretty sure that even if Florida beat Texas Tech, which is more than likely, Leach would be offered the Tennessee head coaching job, but a victory over the Gators would guarantee it.

And, thus, with one victory, we in the Big 12 are rid of Mike Leach and his lack of sportsmanship. I'm looking at the big picture here and that's why I'll be rooting for Tech this Saturday. And, if Oklahoma does manage to win, I hope the Sooners do it by at least seven touchdowns. It's time someone rubbed Leach with his own dirt. Of course, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is too much of a class act to leave his starters in for the whole game (Other than the Texas game, has OU quarterback Sam Bradford played in a fourth quarter this year?) like Leach does, even when his team is up by a zillion points.

Finally, Leach should feel more at home in the SEC, which is the most crooked conference in college football to begin with. Why do you think assistant coaches at SEC schools never become head coaches at schools in other conferences? Because schools in those other conferences don't want to risk the probationary problems an SEC violator could bring. So think about it. Leach is happy. The rest of the Big 12 is ecstatic. Tennessee gets its man. Texas Tech enjoys its 15 minutes. What more could anyone wish for.

Go Red Raiders!

No comments: