Search 2.0

Thursday, January 29, 2009

This is like McDonald's buying out Del Frisco's

I'm probably the last person on the planet to hear about it, but, still, I'm a little bit disturbed and apprehensive over the news that Planet Hollywood has purchased the Bucca di Beppo chain of Italian restaurants. Admittedly, I am not a regular patron of Bucca's -- probably been there not more than thrice in my life and one of those times was strictly for a chocolate cannoli -- but then I am not a regular patron of any chain restaurant. My local Italian restaurant of choice is the same today as it was when I moved to Dallas 40 years ago, Pietro's on Richmond just east of Lowest Greenville Ave. And I have never been to a Planet Hollywood -- never even had the slightest inkling to drop in on one. So why the news of this purchase rub me the wrong way? I dunno, but it has something to do with dragging down one place I have been eaten at to the level of a place I never had a desire to eat at. Make sense? Well, to me it does.

No comments: