Search 2.0

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Golden Globe nominations


I'm looking over the list of Golden Globe nominations as most people do -- a harbinger to what the Oscar nominations might look like, even though the Globes' Hollywood Foreign Press Association has 88 voting members and the Oscars' Motion Picture Academy has more than 5,000.

My first reaction is that Inglourious Basterds got far more love from the Foreign Press than I believe it will receive from the Academy. It would be a mild surprise if the film made the list of the 10 best picture nominees (although, following the lukewarm reaction to The Lovely Bones, voters may be searching for a replacement) and it would be a major shock if Quentin Tarantino made the Academy's list of best director nominees.

I thought the best picture Oscar was a two-film race between Up in the Air and Precious. After the recent spate of critics' awards and seeing the Globes' list, I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to think the race is now between Air and The Hurt Locker and I might even rate Locker's Kathryn Bigelow as the favorite for the directing Oscar (as well as the Globe) for several reasons. It's interesting to note that one of the other finalists for the Globes' best director is James Cameron for Avatar, which means, if memory serves, this will be the first time an ex-man-and-wife competed against each other in this category. I must also admit I was mildly surprised that Precious' Lee Daniels failed to make the Globes' list of director finalists. And blogger Sasha Stone pointed out the omission of Clint Eastwood from the lfinal five.

The only other surprise to me was Robert Downey Jr.'s nomination in the category Best Actor, Comedy or Musical, for Sherlock Holmes. I have not seen the film, only the trailers, but the film looked more like an Indiana Jones-type adventure more than an outright comedy. I have seen Up in the Air and, while I would label that as a drama with some funny moments, I could more easily fit Air into a comedy genre than I could Sherlock Holmes. Admittedly, I saw a couple of funny moments in the trailers, but I also saw a lot of explosions and brutal fight scenes -- moments that usually don't tickle my funny bone.

No comments: