Search 2.0

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Greatest TV Drama of the Last 25 Years

I just ran across this gimmick that a publication or a Web site (I’m not sure which) called Vulture is doing. It is conducting his own NCAA-tournament like playoff to determine the greatest TV dramatic series of the last quarter century.

It began the tournament with 16 contestants: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Shield, NYPD Blue, Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights, Twin Peaks, Battlestar Gallactica, Lost, Mad Men, Deadwood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, West Wing, The X-Files, My So Called Life, and The Wire. (I was somewhat dismayed he didn’t include one of the Law & Order franchises, but so be it.)

Each day, the outfit has a notable television writer decide the winner between the two playoff contestants. I don’t know which show is the winner yet — New York Magazine TV critic Matt Zoller Seitz, no less, is expected to make that decision sometime later today, but it looks like it’s going to be a contest between my favorite two shows of all time: The Sopranos and The Wire.

Anyway, a second round of this tournament featured a contest between The X-Files and The Wire with critic Marc Bernadin deciding the outcome. I found this essay Bernadin wrote on the subject to be a particularly good read and I especially recommend it for the multitudes who have yet to discover the sweep, the grandeur and the Dickensonian overtones of The Wire.

1 comment:

Judy W. said...

Loved both The Sopranos and The Wire - both unique at the time! Although I think Sopranos began the edge-of-the-seat, I'll wait impatiently for 9 months for the next installment TV show. We purchased The Wire and stayed up late too many nights watching it...and held off on the last season because we didn't want to end it (Crazy I know and even crazier, we STILL l haven't watched it - maybe we'll have to start over!) Now, though, I would be hard-pressed to not include Breaking Bad. AMAZING show and anxiety is building waiting for the final season. If you haven't watched it, start now!