Search 2.0

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

“Les Miserables” may be good

As regular readers know by now, I am a huge fan of the musical version of Les Miserables. I would guess, conservatively, I’ve seen it on stage close to 40 times, including numerous times in London and New York when it first opened in those cities.

I was exited to hear that it was going to become a movie when I heard Alan Parker was attached to it as the director. But nothing ever came of that.

I was somewhere between lukewarm and slightly optimistic when I saw the film was back on track with Tom Hooper directing. The optimism rose when I saw Hugh Jackman had been cast as Jean Valjean and Anne Hathaway would be Fantine (although that character dies relatively early in the story). I didn’t mind Russell Crowe as Javert and I think Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter could be ideally cast as the Thenardiers. Samantha Barks is an interesting choice as Eponine, but I was crestfallen to learn Amanda Seyfried will play Cosette. Nothing against Seyfried, but I don’t think she’s right for this pivotal part. I’m hoping I’m wrong.

And maybe I am because a couple of folks have placed Les Miz on their lists of likely best picture nominees at next year’s Oscars. Now that’s a really good sign.

No comments: