Search 2.0

Friday, November 1, 2013

CVS Pharmacy where our motto is “If we kill enough of our customers then, perhaps, we won’t have to work so hard”




Considering the patient-pharmacist relationship as a covenant means that a pharmacist has moral obligations in response to the gift of trust received from society. In return for this gift, a pharmacist promises to help individuals achieve optimum benefit from their medications, to be committed to their welfare, and to maintain their trust.
—American Pharmacists Association, Code of Ethics, Article 1

Now that is one huge truckload of bat guano. At least it is when applied to CVS pharmacists. Specifically it’s a huge truckload of bat guano when it comes to the pharmacist operating (hopefully, not for long) at the CVS Pharmacy located on the southeast corner of Forest and Abrams in Dallas.

I usually don’t like to write about personal experience on this blog unless they serve in some way to illuminate something terribly wrong in our society that the rest of the population of that society needs to be made aware of for their own well-being. This is such an instance.

Tonight, a few moments after 7 p.m., I was returning home from giving the dog a run with her best buds at Moss Park. I stopped at the neighborhood CVS (which I now know stands for Cancelling Vital Serivces) to get a prescription for Pravastatin. The pharmacist on duty categorically refused to take my refill information. When I asked if the pharmacy department was closed, I was told it was open until 10 p.m. When I asked why they would not take my information, the quack in charge (at least the only one back there wearing the traditional white jacket) said they were "overloaded." When I then tried to tell them I wasn’t in need of an immediate refill, that I could come back and retrieve the refill 24 hours later, the guy in the white jacket simply turned his back and walked away.

Does that sound like someone committed to society’s welfare? No, it sounds like someone committed only to his lazy butt.

Now for those not familiar with Pravastatin, it, among other things, "helps prevent heart attack and stroke in people who have heart disease." I guess that means the quack pharmacists at CVS must adhere to the philosophy that "preventing heart attacks, hmmm, that doesn’t seem too important to me. I mean everyone deserves a couple of heart attacks in his or her lifetime."

Tonight, of course, will be the last time I ever set foot inside a CVS Pharmacy. You readers out there are free to do as you wish, depending on how much you value your own health and well-being. There’s a Walgreens about a mile further down the road that’s going to be seeing a lot more of me.

And, yes, I have filed official complaints about this pharmacist’s actions to CVS corporate, the Better Business Bureau, the Texas Attorney General’s Office and the aforementioned American Pharmacists Association. If I hear anything from these folks, I’ll be sure to let you know. Watch this space.

In the meantime, be warned.

No comments: