Search 2.0

Saturday, July 5, 2008

I'm going to tell everyone

I read a lot of mysteries and recently I read a craftily written one from 2001 by Harlan Coben called "Tell No One." It was one of those that lived up to those flyleaf raves such as "You can't put it down" and "a real page turner." In short, it was one of the best thrillers I had read in a long time.

I loaned it to My Hero who not only enjoyed it as well but pointed out to me that the film version of this book was being made by a French production company. I know I scratched my head when she told me this, wondering how Hollywood could let it get away. Now, I'm discovering that it's probably a good thing the Southern California movie moguls didn't grab this one.

The film, directed by one Guillaume Canet, opened this week in Manhattan and received a rave review from Stephen Holden in The New York Times who called it a "delicious contemporary thriller" and compared it to two other mystery films that are favorites of mine, "The Big Sleep" and "Vertigo." Now comes word that the film was won four Cesar Awards, which is the French equivalent of the Oscars, including one for veteran French character actor Francois Cluzet, who won the Cesar for best actor.

I have no idea if and when the movie will play in Dallas. (It opens next weekend on the West Coast.) I checked out the Morning News' Summer Movie Guide and it wasn't listed in there. But, if you're interested in some trailers or clips from the film, you can find them here. I'm hoping there's at least one theater in town that can find a place to squeeze this one in around "Hellboy," "The Dark Knight," "Mamma Mia" and "The X-Files." If not, this city loses all credibility as a sophisticated movie town.

No comments: