Search 2.0

Sunday, May 10, 2009

This time setting the agenda wasn't enough

I have always maintained that in any election, the side that sets the agenda wins the race. The other side, of course, can argue that what you are saying isn't true, but if that's their major argument, they are arguing your points.

I believed that up until I returned to the city from Lubbock today to learn that the pro-hotel side had won a narrow victory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy at the outcome; in fact, I'm convinced it's in the best interest of this city that both city charter propositions on the ballot failed. I'm just surprised because I thought the anti-hotel group had done a marvelous job of setting the agenda.

The one clear, succinct message out there was the hotel was going to cost taxpayers money that should be spent on better streets and more cops. The other side was forced to argue the less compelling, although far more accurate, side that said "No it won't," but then opted to go into long discussions about revenue bonds that the public just didn't comprehend or even care about.

So why did voters approve the hotel? The anti-hotel group made a fatal strategic blunder when it decided to inject Da Mayor's credibility into the campaign. For one thing, it muddied the central issue and for a second thing, most voters out there still trust and believe in Da Mayor. Had the anti-hotel people stuck simply to their tax message, I'm convinced they would have won. Look at the numbers: Only one candidate for the city council who was against the hotel won Saturday night and that candidate, incumbent Angela Hunt, was unopposed. Both Sheffie Kadane and Jerry Allen were running against anti-hotel candidates and both won easily. In fact, the city council races could, overall, be seen as an overwhelming endorsement of Da Mayor since all of his outspoken supporters we re-elected by far greater margins than the pro-hotel vote received.

Finally, a couple of comments about the City Council races. Overall, the outcomes were as pleasing as they could be. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw Ann Margolin and not Brint Ryan was going to succeed Mitchell Rasansky in District 13. I was also delighted to see voters in District 5 rebuff Dwaine Carraway's attempt to have a stooge unseat Vonciel Jones Hill. I don't always agree with the stands Judge Hill takes, but I respect her. I can also say the same about Tennell Atkins in District 8 and I'm thrilled voters rewarded what he has accomplished in just two years for that area.

That brings me to District 7 where Carolyn Davis is going to be in a runoff with DISD trustee Ron Price (I'm convinced Delia Jasso will have absolutely no problem winning her District 1 runoff). The primary was Davis against the field and she lost. Now the field is represented by just one candidate, who should gather most of the support that went to the other candidates in the race. I always thought Ms. Davis was the only vulnerable incumbent on the council and right now it appears she is going to be a one-and-done-termer. My only concern is that I wish she was going to be replaced by someone I trust more than Ron Price, who has always come across to me as all talk, no action.

No comments: