Search 2.0

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Prediction: Trader Joe’s on lowest Greenville Avenue

First there was this story a couple of months ago about Trader Joe’s coming to Dallas, Houston and Austin and that its Dallas location, which “would open within the year,” would include one in the inner city as well as some in the white collared suburbs like Frisco and Allen, where most of the action is these days.

Then today I ran across this about the now-abandoned Whole Foods site on Lowest Greenville Avenue. It doesn’t take much to put two and two together, especially when the great Robert Wilonsky quotes Dallas City Council member Angela Hunt as saying a “grocery store has been mentioned” to replace Whole Foods.

I could be wrong. I have only been wrong in my predictions about a zillion times and I’m not willing to bet the house on this one, but this prediction feels better the longer I sit with it.

This news may come as a blow to those folks in Lake Highlands trying to get a petition to get Trader Joe’s in their hood, but I don’t think Joe’s kin can wait around for that town center development at Walnut Hill and Skillman to get cracking and have it open “within the year.” Within the decade is a possibility, but not a year.

No comments: