Search 2.0

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What I want with me on a deserted island

I ran across a blog article this morning written by a well-meaning chap, I would guess, in which he talked about the 10 record albums he would want with him should he be stranded on a deserted island. Which, of course, made me think “What he hell good are 10 record albums or even CDs going to do for you on a desert island? I mean, even if you were lucky enough to find a record or CD player on the place, what good would it do you. A deserted island is, by definition, deserted and thus totally bereft of such things as electricity.”

OK, I know his article was just an excuse to talk about his 10 favorite record albums, but why not just say that instead of saying something completely idiotic like you would want these recordings with you even though you had no ability to listen to them?

But I also got to thinking, what would I want with me if I should ever be stranded on a deserted island. And my choice was other human company. So here’s a fun parlor game to play: What 10 people would you like to be stranded with on an otherwise deserted island? Here are my choices:

1. My son Chance because he’s funny and I always enjoy talking with him. Not only that, in less than three weeks he graduates from medical school and a doctor is always a valuable addition to the community. Today, the first thing he asked me when he got home from the clinic where he’s doing his internship was “Do you want an adjustment.” It was, as the expression goes, just what the doctor ordered.

2. My granddaughter Grace because she always makes me smile if not outright laugh. But not only that, she’s ingenious when it comes to taking simple, everyday objects and using her incredible imagination to turn them into playthings. “Poppa, let’s pretend this rock is a carriage and this piece of wood is a castle and you and I are the prince and princess riding in the carriage to the ball at the castle.”

3. My Hero if, for no other reason, than if I’m to be stranded on an island it would be ideal to have a drop-dead gorgeous female there as well. But, more than that, I simply never tire of her company, her conversation, of just being with her. There’s also the fact that’s she’s an accomplished engineer and engineers are basically, when you come right down to it, nothing more than problem solvers. I once had a business partner who claimed engineers are not happy unless they have problems to solve. And if I’m stranded on a desert island, I have a major problem that need’s solving.

4. Of course I would need to have one non-human with me, my devoutly loyal Golden Retriever Ginger. Just to be able to see her unconfined throughout the day, romping around and exploring the island, splashing in the waves, being completely free and uninhibited would fill my heart with immense joy.

5-10. Six of the world’s best shipbuilders. C’mon, I don’t want to be stranded on this island forever. You see, there’s 10 record albums I’m dying to hear once I return.

No comments: