Search 2.0

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Is it Leonardo’s turn?

The members of the Motion Picture Academy have as many different reasons for voting their Oscar choices as there are members. One of them, I suspect, is “It’s just this person’s turn to win an Oscar.” That was an overriding reason for Martin Scorsese winning a directing Oscar in 2007 after having being nominated six other times. It contributed to Jeff Bridges acting Oscar in 2010 following four other nominations. The only one who has not had his turn is the great Peter O’Toole, who I thought had a shot in 2007 because, with seven previous Oscar nominations to his credit, it seemed to be his turn.

I’m sensing there is a feeling this year that it may be Leonardo DiCaprio’s turn. Although comparatively younger than others whose turn it was (he will be 37 when the awards are handed out next year) he’s been in the business professionally for 21 years now and does have three other nominations to his credit (and he’s earned even more). He is also well liked and respected among his peers. And if his role as the legendary titular F.B.I. chief in Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar turns out to be as meaty as many are predicting, he could be a significant contender.

Right now I’m installing him as an early favorite for the best actor Oscar, although I reserve the right to change my mind between now and February.

No comments: