Search 2.0

Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo

I'm trying to bury my cynicism here. I have been finding all this anti-immigrant hysteria sweeping our country to be absolutely distasteful and against everything the American spirit stands for. I could argue that the Pilgrims entered this country illegally, but what's the point.

I also find it distasteful that so many business owners and political leaders who are at the forefront of this anti-immigrant crusade now rush to embrace such holidays at today's Cinco de Mayo celebrations, which, if nothing else, is a day to celebrate the ties between the United States and Mexico, not an excuse for stores to advertise 10 percent off sales. Cinco de Mayo, as Rep. Joe Baca of California points out in this interesting story, is celebrated more in the United States than it is in Mexico.

Perhaps we would all be a lot better off if we didn't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but, instead, honored what the day is supposed to represent.

No comments: