Search 2.0

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Implosion at the Wall Street Journal

I've never thought of the Wall Street Journal as a "fun" read. It can be informative but I'm one of those who will reach for the New York Times and the Washington Post before I grab a WSJ.

But things are starting to get interesting over at the staid paper since it was acquired by Rupert Murdoch. People are even beginning to question the motives of a former managing editor who married a woman 25 years his junior, a woman who started her own blog because "I'm so sick of being admired for my keen mind and dazzling personality. It's about time people started loving me for my body." Now that's not the kind of thing one associates with the WSJ.

Last week I was hearing rumors about Murdoch trying to purchase Newsday with the intent of combining it with the WSJ to ultimately run my beloved NYT out of town. I would fall back on the old cliche "Bigger men that you have tried that," but, in this case, I don't believe that's true.

But who knew that the best media soap opera would come from the internal maneuverings going on at the Wall Street Journal?

No comments: