Search 2.0

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Director to attend North Texas premiere of award-winning documentary


From everything I've heard and read, Lior Liebling (pictured here) is one amazing and unique young man and is the subject of a what Philadelphia Inquirer film critic Carrie Rickey calls a "poignant and profound documentary" called "Praying with Lior."

Lior has Down Syndrome and pretty much prays and prays loudly all the time. The film tells the story of how his faith in God and his constant praying has illuminated his family and those who surround him. That makes sense, I guess, because in Hebrew, his name means "my light." Yoni, Lior's brother says of Lior: "If there is a God, Lior is definitely closer to God than anyone I know." The film climaxes with Lior's bar mitzvah with all those whose lives he has changed in attendance.

"Praying with Lior" (you can see the trailer here) will be shown in a special screening at 7 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 4 at the Angelika Film Center at Mockingbird Station. Ilana Trachtman, the film's director, will attend the screening to discuss how she discovered Lior, how she wound up praying with him, and the challenges involved in filming the Liebling family saga. In addition, there will be an update on the progress of the Special Needs Initiative of the Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas. Tickets are $9 and must be purchased in advance by calling Melissa Bernstein at 214-239-7134 or by going to the 3StarsCinema Web site.

Truth in advertising here: I must admit to a special bias on this subect. Five or so years ago, two of my best friends, James Nix and Luke Mayberry, got me involved with special needs individuals in general and Special Olympics basketball in particular. They have made me vocal proponents of raising the awareness of special needs individuals. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Not only that, I'm a Jewish film fanatic with a special affection for documentaries.

I will be talking more about this film and this screening in upcoming entries to this journal.

No comments: