Search 2.0

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Welcome to the big time

I haven't seen any other mentions of this, so I will leap into the breach. When folks talk about the Big 12 football powerhouses, the conversation usually involves Texas, Oklahoma and often Nebraska. So I found it quite interesting that Sports Illustrated's college football preview featured both Missouri and Texas Tech in its pre-season Top 10. And who did it pick to win it all? Georgia, quarterbacked by former Highland Park star Matthew Stafford. I don't know if I agree with that pick but I will say this: This year's World Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, or whatever the game between Florida and Georgia is called, may feature the year's two best college football quarterbacks on the same field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, you're writing on a topic to which I have deep and emotional viewpoints. No offense to that gridiron contest that is played each October in the Cotton Bowl, but the border war in Jax is also deserving of serious attention.

During the past 15-20 years the game has fallen in stature as the Dawgs have not had much muscle in their football program while the Gators have fielded numerous SEC champions and two national titles. This has changed and the two teams appear to be evenly matched for this year's game.

My advice: because each passing offense is so good it pays to keep your eyes on the defenses and running games as the key to victory.

Thanks for branching out beyond the Lone Star State. Your tropical readers appreciate it.

-- Howard