Search 2.0

Friday, April 23, 2010

Carrey on, Jim

Admittedly, I have never been much of a Jim Carrey fan. I did like The Truman Show ... a lot ... but I liked it in spite of Carrey. I don't know what anyone sees in Man on the Moon and The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the most overrated films of all time. The nicest thing I can say about the bulk of his comedies is that aren't as bad as those from Adam Sandler.

Still, I wouldn't wish his recent track record on anyone in the film industry. First his private life takes a hit when he breaks up with Jenny McCarthy. But it's his professional output that's the real story. Two recent releases, A Christmas Carol and Yes Man, did not perform anywhere near expectations. His so-called gay comedy, I Love You Philip Morris, has been shelved, at least for the time being. Three other projects with which he's involved - Ripley's Believe It or Not, The Three Stooges and Damn Yankees - are going nowhere.

Here was someone who just five years ago appeared he could do no wrong. What's happened?

No comments: