Search 2.0

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My problems with the Kinkster

I have always enjoyed myself immensely whenever I have been in the company of Kinky Friedman and I feel fortunate to call him a friend. As a writer myself, I must admit that time spent with one of Kinky's mystery novels is certainly not time wasted. Still, I have never been able to support Kinky's political aspirations.

Part of it is because I have always felt uncomfortable with his repeated references to "niggers, Jews and Sigma Nus." Another part of it is because, as someone who is usually classified as being a tad on the more liberal side of the political demarcation zone, I find it troubling that one of Friedman's first political encounters came when he ran as a Republiican for a Kerr County post. And he never hid the fact that he voted for George Bush.

Now, however, I have learned that he is helping to raise money for a Republican Congressman Lamar Smith's Longhorn PAC. The May 14-16 fundraising event for the PAC includes "a breakfast with Texas Songwriter and Author Kinky Friedman."

My problem with the Kinkster is that his involvement in Smith's fundraising event is not all that surprising to me - in fact, it seems to fit his normal political behavior.

No comments: