Search 2.0

Friday, November 30, 2007

The current state of independent films


The Independent Spirit Award nominations were announced earlier this week and, unlike last year when a number of very fine films were among the nominees, this year's list made me ... well ... yawn. Two films I have yet to see but are looking forward to, "The Savages" and "I'm Not There," dominated the awards. But there was no mention of such films as "No Country for Old Men," "Eastern Promises" and "Into the Wild."

Maybe that's because the Independent Spirit Awards are restricted to those independent films whose production AND post-production budget cannot exceed $20 million. I'm figuring the three films mentioned above exceeded that figure.

What that means is that I doubt any of the films nominated for best picture by the Independent Spirit Awards folks--"I'm Not There," "
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Juno," "A Mighty Heart" and "Paranoid Park"--will wind up with an Oscar nomination in that category. This is a reversal from recent history when Independent Spirit nominees such as "Little Miss Sunshine," "Good Night and Good Luck" and "Crash" scored big at the Oscars. Of course Gus Van Sant's "Paranoid Park" won't even be eligible because it won't go into theatrical release until sometime next year.

Of course, any discussion on independent films has to mention the birth mother of the movement, the
Sundance Film Festival. For those interested, here is the 2008 Sundance lineup.

And, no, I'm not going to Sundance. Northern Utah in January is just too cold for my tastes. Now, if this was a
Hana film festival with this same lineup, I might reconsider.

No comments: