Search 2.0

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Rusty Wier benefit to be held at Poor David's


Rusty Wier has always made me want to dance.

He was at the vanguard of the so-called "Texas Music Scene" when it first blossomed in the early 1970s. He was also a victim of that same scene. I remember when he was signed by a national record label, I think it was ABC Paramount, and then promptly buried because the record executives didn't want him competing with other artists they were promoting more heavily. That's how cutthroat this industry could be. He released one album on the label--an excellent recording that could have had some decent sales if only the label had promoted it to radio stations. But without airplay, nothing was going to happen.

But Wier, as far as I could tell, never lost his enthusiasm. He toured and played tirelessly and he gave everything he could in each show, regardless of the number of people he played in front of. I always left a Rusty Wier performance much happier than when I entered. One of these performances was captured perfectly on a "Live at Poor David's" CD. I hope it is still available.

I recently learned Wier has been diagnosed with a serious illness and being a touring Texas musician he is not going to have health insurance. Some friends are doing what they can to help out.

Poor David's Pub, 1313 S. Lamar, will be hosting a benefit for Wier Sunday, Jan. 6, from 3 to 6 p.m. According to an e-mail from Poor David's David Card, the club will feature on this date: " (1) cheap beer; (2) a $3 tequila special, "The Rusty," a shot of Jose Cuervo with lime and an attitude; and (3) a chili cookoff that will feature awards for the best chili, the most creative chili and the best chili named in honor of Rusty Wier. The cook-off is limited to 10 contestants and the entry fee is $20. Performers lined up to play during the benefit include Brian Burns, Mark David Manders, Blacktop Gypsy, B'Ann Grant, Mark Wayne Glasmire, Joe Pat Hennen, Jayson Bales and Tommy Alverson. Someone not on this list that I really hope shows is Steve Fromholz.

The way the Cowboys are playing right now, they should not be a wild card entry into the playoffs and this weekend is the one set-aside for the wild card playoff games. If, however, the Cowboys collapse into the wild card, I imagine David will have a television set handy.

All things being equal, I plan on being at Poor David's Jan. 6. I really hope I see a lot of old friends there as well.

No comments: