Search 2.0

Friday, February 1, 2008

Farewell Einstein's


I made my last weekly visit to Einstein's Bros. Bagels today.

For years, a stop at Einstein's on my way to work has been a weekly ritual. I would pick up a dozen bagels every Friday and bring them to my co-workers. About a year or so ago, I discovered Einstein's steak and egg ranchero panini. It wasn't the greatest gourmet breakast, by any stretch of the imagination, but in the world of fast-food breakfasts it was pretty decent.

I got to where I really looked forward to Friday mornings knowing my early morning chores did not include fixing breakfast. I would simply pick up one of these sandwiches with my dozen bagels and I was a happy camper.

The first nail in the Einstein's coffin, as far as I'm concerned, came when the company adopted this new computer-assisted ordering system. I'm thinking it must have improved efficiencies somewhere, but when it comes to customer service, this system is a disaster. It now takes at least three times longer to get your order than it did before this system went into effect. Used to be I would walk right up to the counter, place my order, get my bagels and my panini and be on my way. Now the line of people just waiting to place an order usually goes out the front door. If it wasn't for my addiction to that steak and egg ranchero paninin, I would have abandoned Einstein's long ago.

So today, I walked into Einstein's only to be hit with a brand new menu. And the steak and egg ranchero panini has been replaced by a spinach and egg panini. Now this switch might be popular in Southern California, but we're in Texas and you just don't dump beef and jalepenos and replace them with spinach in Texas. Now that interminable wait just to get a dozen bagels is no longer worthwhile.

So today I bid Einstein's adieu. Goodbye, farewell, adios and amen.

No comments: