Search 2.0

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Something for the Republicans to consider

I'm really an outsider on all this, especially when the words "conservatives" and "Republicans" are bandied about. Right now I could care less who wins either party's nomination, but the way I'm reading the current GOP political scene is this: John McCain is marching toward the Republican presidential nomination much to the dismay of the Rush Limbaughs, Ann Coulters and their ilk in the party.

I'm also thinking that if there was any surprise at all for Republicans on Super (those in New Orleans say "Fat") Tuesday, it was the unexpected showing by Mike Huckabee who really seems to be the darling of the Christian conservatives.

So my question is, why isn't someone from the Huckabee camp approach the Mitt Romney group, saying "Mitt, baby, you're toast. But together we might be able to stop this guy. Why not drop out of the race now, release all your delegates to me and urge your followers to vote for me in the upcoming primaries? By the way, could I also borrow a few bucks while we're at it?"

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Close...but no cigar, Pete. Huckabee despises Romney for some reason I haven't quite figured out. Actually, the conservatives who are balking against McCain are balking because the man is a free thinker and they can't make him toe the party line. I kinda like that. What a novel idea: thinking issues through for oneself and then staying true to them. The Limbaughs, Colters and all the others who say they would rather stay home than vote for McCain are, in the end, going to relent. Their temper tantrums over the few issues they don't like McCain on will not be as important as all the other priority issues they are in agreement with him about. In the end, it is about compromise. In order to reap any good, they will have to give in to the majority that seems to recognize McCain is saying the mostly right things.