Search 2.0

Monday, January 17, 2011

Lessons learned from the Golden Globes

In 1999, Christian Bale starred as a serial killer in the film American Psycho, and to this date it's difficult for me to remember he's neither. Well, I can't really say for certain about the psycho part, but he's definitely not American. But still it's difficult for me to grasp that the latest Batman was actually born in Wales and to remember that his first prominent role was as an English kid in Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun. And his portrayal of a Boston street junkie in The Fighter is so convincing, so beyond the realm of most British actors, it undoubtedly led to his Golden Globe win for best supporting actor and probably means he'll win the Oscar for that performance as well.

Listening to Bale accept his award speaking in his normal accent drove it all home again. Other things I learned from watching the Globes telecast were:
  • I probably need to see an episode or two or three of Glee on television one of these days.
  • For the the second consecutive year, the best picture Oscar is actually going to go to the best picture.
  • Colin Firth is a shoo-in for best actor.
  • I got distracted and didn't catch either Robert Downey Jr.'s bit or Anette Bening's acceptance speech, both of which, from the little I did see, seemed to be show highlights.
  • Ricky Gervais is today's answer to Don Rickles, but lacks both Rickles's sharpness and the hilarity he could provoke. Rickles, at his best, could make me laugh so hard my sides would hurt. I find Gervais somewhat and sometimes mildly amusing.
  • Jane Fonda looked great but Robert DeNiro's acceptance of the Cecile B. DeMille award was embarrassing.
  • The Globes telecast just ain't the same without Jack.
  • The Hollywood Foreign Press hasn't realized that Megan Fox's 15 minutes ended at least 15 minutes ago.

No comments: