Search 2.0

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

There's going to be a fun football game in a couple of weeks but I have no idea where

A good friend and I stopped by the Starbucks today in the West Village for our regular post-lunch libation (it's so "regular" for him, the barista doesn't even ask him for his order, simply asks if he wants his "regular"). Anyway, I like the check out the community bulletin board while I'm there and today I saw a poster that fascinated me, a charity event designed to raise money for Alzheimer's research. Since my mother succumbed to the ravages of Alzheimer's and I live with the constant fear that I probably inherited the trait that results in the disease, I examined this poster more closely than all the others.

The charity event in question seemed to be promoting a fun, harmless affair -- a "blondes versus brunettes" football game on Saturday, Aug. 14. It said a $25 donation provided access to the game and an "after-game party." The problem was the poster never said where this event was going to take place. Thinking I was perhaps overlooking the obvious, I asked several other patrons also waiting for their drinks to see if they could see what I was missing. None of them could.

The poster did mention a Web site where a donation could be made online. I didn't have a pen or paper with me, so I couldn't write it down. I guess they figured that everyone who walks into Starbucks these days does so armed with a wireless laptop computer and, in fact, it seems that 99 percent of them do. Those folks can access the Web site right there on the spot. As for the rest of us, we have to commit the URL to memory. Mine failed me. Must be the Alzheimer's.

No comments: