Search 2.0

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Good news from Her Tallness


Let me just say at the outset that it's next to impossible for me to be objective when the subject of Marcia Ball comes up. I have known her for close to 40 years now, even before she formed Freda and the Firedogs, the band that, for all practical purposes, started the so-called "progressive country music" and the "Austin music scene." Sure there was music being played at clubs in Austin but it was played by old-line country folks at places like the Split Rail or by rockers like the 13th Floor Elevators and Shiva's Headband at the Vulcan Gas Company on Congress. Freda and the Firedogs was the first band of "long-hairs" to play semi-traditional country music in Austin, which was strange coming from Marcia because I knew then her first love was the New Orleans-styled blues she grew up with in Louisiana.

But all this is extraneous to the real purpose of this post which is twofold. First, there's a possibility that Marcia will be playing at Poor David's Pub Saturday, March 22. The date is not set in stone yet, but I've got my fingers crossed.

What is more certain, however, is that Marcia's latest album, called "Peace, Love & BBQ" ("three of my favorite things," she says) should be released in April. It is produced by Stephen Bruton and features, among other guests, Dr. John and his band.

It's enough to warm my heart on a cold, cold day.

No comments: