Search 2.0

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar predictions scorecoard

Not one of my better predicting years. In the top eight categories, I only got 33 of 40 nominations correct for a paltry 82.5 percent. The official breakdown:

Picture: 4 out of 5 ("Atonement" coming in ahead of "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" was not that much of a shock, however).

Director: 4 out of 5

Actor: 4 out of 5 (Tommy Lee Jones was a major surprise; I did not see that one coming at all.)

Actress: Only 3 out of 5 but I can't say I was shocked by the choices or the omissions

Supporting Actor: 5 out of 5

Supporting Actress: 4 out of 5 (No surprise, I was torn between Ruby Dee and Catherine Keener and decided to go with Ms. Keener at the very last minute)

Adapted Screenplay: 4 out of 5 (Sarah Polley's nomination for "Away From Her" came out of left field; I figured if "Into the Wild" didn't make it into this list, "Charlie Wilson's War" would).

Original Screenplay: 5 out of 5

Other categories in which I did reasonably well: cinematography, 5 out 5; visual effects, 3 out of 3; animated feature, 2 out 3 ("Surf's Up" beating out "The Simpson's Movie" was completely unexpected, that smells of the Academy's anti-TV bias); art direction, 4 out of 5 (still don't understand "American Gangster" over "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" in this category); and film editing, 4 out 5 (not sure why "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" was chosen over "Michael Clayton").

No comments: