Search 2.0

Monday, September 15, 2008

City Hall to screw my neighborhood today

Two city council members, Sheffie Kadane and Jerry Allen, neither of whom represent the area where I live, probably will deprive me of a preferred sanitation pickup service today. Meanwhile, Linda Koop, who does represent my area but has forgotten about it, will remain silent and satisfied.

The Council is considering budget amendments today. As part of the fiscal year 2008-09 budget, Northwest Dallas will be going to a once-a-week garbage and recycling pickup. Far North Dallas went on that schedule earlier. Sanitation Services recommended it would save a whole lot more money if Northeast Dallas went on that schedule, as well. I would prefer it, especially since I live in an area that doesn't allow rollcarts and I usually have three blue recycling bags for everyone one black regular garbage bags for pickup each week. But, from what I am hearing, council members Kadane and Allen are going to kill that deal.

Because I am a manual (bag only) customer, I have been receiving once a week recycling pickup and twice a week garbage pickup. If the amendment was approved, my garbage collection would actually be reduced, but that's OK, because I only place bags in my alley once a week anyway. Like I said, however, it's three blue bags and one garbage bag. I'm afraid the city may, if Kadane and Allen get their way, put me with the rest of the area -- once every other week recycling pickup. If that happens, my recycling days are over, I'm afraid.

No comments: