Search 2.0

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here's the ugly truth about "The Ugly Truth"


The romantic comedy The Ugly Truth opens tomorrow and its backers, pointing to the success of The Proposal another ro-com from a couple of weeks ago are giddily optimistic. I'm convinced they're in for a major disappointment.

The Proposal's opening weekend was $33.6 million. I'll be surprised if The Ugly Truth makes 60 percent of that -- I'm thinking more like 55 percent might be closer to the ugly truth.

So what has The Proposal got that The Ugly Truth doesn't? First, from what I've heard, The Proposal is simply a far better picture. I have yet to see The Ugly Truth, but I have spoken to four individuals who have and they all said it is bad. Second, Ryan Reynolds of The Proposal is a hot property right now, much, much hotter than Gerard Butler, the male lead of Truth. Everyone refers to The Proposal as a "Sandra Bullock movie," but I know Reynolds pulled his share at the box office. Third, I doubt if anyone is going to challenge my assertion that Katherine Heigl of Truth is a babe (and if you do doubt it, check out the picture of her here) so who's going to buy into a movie plot that claims this babe has a problem attracting men? Fourth and finally, although she is a babe, I'm not convinced Ms. Heigl has "star power" on a level with Sandra Bullock. Not yet, anyway. I've only seen her in the much overrated Knocked Up (I went way out of my way to avoid 27 Dresses) , although people who watch her television show tell me she's very good in it.

So the ugly truth about this movie is that it's not going to come close to The Proposal's box office numbers; in fact, I expect it to finish third this weekend behind the wizards of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and the guinea pigs (yes, the guinea pigs) of G Force.

No comments: