Search 2.0

Friday, January 1, 2010

A public loss: Veletta Lill nixes any future run for political office


Veletta Forsythe Lill, the former city council person whose dedication and perserverance are largely responsible for Dallas having a new opera house, a new performance center and, for that matter, the entire arts district, has decided she will not seek public office again.

"It is nice to know that my work, past and present is appreciated," Ms. Lill told said in a written message responding to something I wrote on this blog a couple of days ago. "However, I really don't have a desire to run for public office again ... I truly enjoyed my time on the city council and am proud of the many things we accomplished. Now, in the next phase of life I am also having a wonderful time nurturing the Arts District."

And, as per her way, she's doing a damn fine job of nurting the district as the Winspear Opera House, the AT&T Performance Arts Center, the Dee and Charles Wyly Theater and, for that matter, the entire 68-acre, 19-block area of downtown Dallas known as the Arts District attests. She also fought tirelessly, passionately and ultimately successfully during this last City of Dallas budget cycle to restore funding to the city's Office of Cultural Affairs

"Dallas has changed a great deal over the last decade, "Ms. Lill wrote me. "It is no longer J.R.'s Dallas. It is imperative that tomorrow's leaders have the vision, passion and compassion to lead our city to the next level."

Veletta Lill is a person with that vision, passion and compassion. Her decision is the public's loss, but I respect it and wish her only the best and the happiest of new years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete, check again. Her ego is out of control.

Anonymous said...

I left Dallas awhile ago but I was not too impressed with her when she was my council representative. She helped to ruin municipal golf in East Dallas.