Search 2.0

Saturday, September 6, 2008

College football game of the week

I know most eyes are focused on either Miami, Fla. and Florida or West Virginia and East Carolina, but I think the best game involving a Top 25 team this week will be the one between Oklahoma and Cincinnati. Oklahoma is a known football powerhouse and Cincinnati isn't. But the Bearcats of the Big East Conference were 10-3 last year and their quarterback, Dustin Grutza was named the Big East Offensive Player of the Week last week as he threw for four touchdowns in Cincinnati's 40-7 victory over Eastern Kentucky. The Bearcats piled up 557 total yards of offense.

Oklahoma could have easily equaled that output last week had not coach Bob Stoops benched his starters at halftime when the Sooners were ahead of Chattanooga 50-0. The Sooners' defense was even more impressive, giving up a ridiculous 16 yards rushing and 20 yards passing.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Stoops getting his 99th victory here. However, the oddsmakers have Oklahoma favored by 23 points. I think it will be a lot closer than that.

No comments: