Search 2.0

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A good way to run an election

I decided yesterday was a good time to vote. I figured that most of the early voting fanatics did exactly that -- voted early or, at least earlier. A mid-afternoon visit on a Monday, I thought, would be tranquil. I was mistaken ... again. When I arrived at the Audelia Road Library, the parking lot was full, motorists were circling it like buzzards just waiting for someone to leave and parked cars lined the side of the streets for blocks in all directions. The line waiting to vote stretched out the front door of the library, a couple dozen deep.

However, when I assumed my place at the back of the line I discovered it moved faster than I was expecting. Once inside, probably not more than 15 minutes after I had joined the parade, I witnessed an expertly orchestrated, efficient operation. I was directed to a desk where a woman took my voter's registration, entered data into a computer that produced a print-out which she ripped from the printer and I signed. Then I was directed to a second desk where a woman quickly directed me to a touch-screen voting booth.

My hats are off to the people at the election officials at the Audelia Road Library for the way that process is operating there.

No comments: