Search 2.0

Friday, October 17, 2008

The college football game I would like to see at the Cotton Bowl

I took a tour of the newly renovated Cotton Bowl about a month ago and I have to admit I was impressed. Is it on the level of what's going up west of here in Jonestown? No, but then I would argue the overwhelming majority of college football stadiums could be found lacking when being compared to the newer pro football houses. Jonestown will be a great place for professional football games, but the Cotton Bowl is, by far, the area's best place for college football games. But now the question is: What games?

Texas and Oklahoma will continue their Red Rivalry there for another five or so years. After that, who knows. I don't see that game moving to Jonestown; instead, if it forsakes the Cotton Bowl and the State Fair, I think it will become a home-and-home series.

The New Year's Day Cotton Bowl game itself is moving to Jonestown beginning in 2010.

So here's my dream game for the Cotton Bowl: one between the winners of the Big 12 and the Southeastern conferences. Right now, there is no question those are the two best conferences in college football but, because they are so competitive, it is doubtful the winner of each will ever meet in a BCS title game. This year, Penn State has a better chance of finishing the season undefeated than does any team from the Big 12 or the SEC. Plus, there is this ongoing debate right now about whether the Big 12 has snatched overall superiority from the SEC and such a series between the champions of the two leagues would, while not answering that argument, at least would provide more legitimacy for one side over the other. My view is that the Big 12 is the premiere offensive conference in the nation and the SEC is the best defensive conference. I would also bet that this year, at least, the offense of Texas, Oklahoma, or Missouri would shred the defense of Alabama, Florida or LSU.

I have absolutely no idea how you would work this game into the current bowl schedule. Perhaps college football shouldn't even try. Instead of having this bowl game after the regular season, like all the other ones, move this to the beginning of the year, call in the Kickoff Bowl or somesuch and play it in weather that's likely to be more hospitable in Dallas. It would feature the previous year's conference winners.

But I'll leave the details to the detail people. Me, I'm just the Big Idea Guy.

No comments: