Search 2.0

Saturday, October 4, 2008

What was O.J. actually found guilty of

I am absolutely convinced O.J. Simpson killed his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goldman. Beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't care what the jury found 13 years ago, I know he did it and I am convinced a majority of Americans feel the same way. I bet a majority of Americans have often said publicly or to themselves, "If I had been on the jury, O.J. would not be making a tour of U.S. golf courses right now. He would be behind bars where he belongs."

And I'm also betting some of those folks served on the jury in Simpson's most current trial in Las Vegas, a trial in which the jury ruled yesterday (ironically, 13 years to the date he was acquitted of murder) he was guilty of armed robbery, kidnapping and a 10 other charges. I'm not questioning his guilt or innocence this time around because I really didn't follow this latest case that closely. But, from what little I did read, I would say I had "reasonable doubt" -- that perhaps he was just trying to recover property he felt rightly belonged to him. (After writing that previous sentence, I am sure some sociologist could argue that was the same motive that drove him to kill Nicole.)

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said much the same thing after the verdict was announced. “I don’t like to use the word payback,” Mr. Galanter said. “I can tell you from the beginning my biggest concern was whether or not the jury would be able to separate their very strong feelings about Mr. Simpson and judge him fairly and honestly.”

Simpson's sentence will be announced in another month, Dec. 5. He could get anywhere from five years to life in prison on the kidnapping conviction, between two and 30 years on the armed robbery charges. The other charges involve conspiracy to to commit robbery, burglary, assault and coercion. The fact that a weapon was involved in these last four charges adds additional years to the minimum sentences. Something tells me the sentence will fall into the 10-15 year range, unless the judge feels like I do: If justice had been served 13 years ago, Simpson would not have been free to commit the Las Vegas crimes.

No comments: