Search 2.0

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The best zoos in the United States

I'm no authority on this, but my cousin is. Back in 1990, when she was in charge of the aviary section of the Bronx Zoo, she provided my son and I with a day at that institution I'll never forget. She was subsequently hired by the folks at Disney to get their Animal Kingdom project in Orlando underway.

During today's debate on privatizing the Dallas Zoo, City Council member Angela Hunt wanted to know what were the top ranked zoos in America and how they were managed. I'll leave it to others to explain the second part of her question; however, my cousin just told me that most "experts" would agree on the following ranking of the 10 best zoos in the United States:

1. San Diego Zoo, San Diego, Calif.
2. Disney's Kingdom, Orlando, Fla. (This was not a self-serving mention her part: This park contains 500 acres that are home to some 1,700 animals representing 250 different species throughout the park.)
3. San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego, Calif.
4. Maryland Zoo, Baltimore, Md.
5. Bronx Zoo, New York, N.Y.
6. Columbus Zoo, Ohio
7. San Antonio Zoo
8. Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, Neb.
9. Phoenix Zoo
10. St. Louis Zoo

Close behind:
Audubon Zoo, New Orleans
Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley, Minn.
Cincinnati Zoo

The U.S. Travel Guide offers this list:
1. Columbus Zoo
2. San Diego Zoo
3. Lion County Safari, West Palm Beach, Fla.
4. Phoenix Zoo
5. Fort Worth Zoo
6. Houston Zoo
7. Cincinnati Zoo
8. Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom
9. Philadelphia Zoo
10. Audubon Zoo

Here are the choices from an organization called United States Tourist Attractions:
1. San Diego Zoo
2. Brookfield Zoo, Chicago
3. San Diego Wild Animal Park
4. Albuquerque Biological Park
5. Pittsburgh Zoo
6. National Zoological Park, Washington, D.C.
7. Bronx Zoo
8. Oklahoma City Zoo
9. Phoenix Zoo
10. St. Louis Zoo

3 comments:

Peter Dickinson said...

Listings of 'best zoos' is always a personal thing. Visitors opinions will be influenced by the weather and price amongst other things. Zoo buffs look for rare animals above other factors. Zoo professionals use an entirely different set of formulae.
At the end of the day 'a good day out' such as you enjoyed sways everything.
Thanks Pete from Peter

Anonymous said...

I agree with Peter. I have been to many different zoo's, but the day at the Dallas Zoo with my granddaughter was "a good day out" and in the end that will stay in my memory.

Btw, the FW Zoo has always been a favorite but it is looking a little shabby these days.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I would like to disagree with pete has he ever been to the minnesota zoo? I am not saying it is the number one zoo in america but i Do believe it is in the top ten