Search 2.0

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"The greatest United States Senator of our time"


I feel a distinct sense of loss at the passing of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. It's as though an era I felt passionate about has come to end. I was just under the legal voting edge when John F. Kennedy ran for President, although my father worked on his campaign as did I as a student at the University of Texas at Austin. I was a hard-working, loyal supporter and worker on the presidential campaign of Robert Kennedy and when he was assassinated in 1968, much of my zeal for and belief in the American political process died with him.

President Obama had this to say about today's passing of the last of the Kennedy senators:

"For five decades, virtually every major piece of legislation to advance the civil rights, health and economic well being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts.

"I valued his wise counsel in the Senate, where, regardless of the swirl of events, he always had time for a new colleague. I cherished his confidence and momentous support in my race for the Presidency. And even as he waged a valiant struggle with a mortal illness, I've profited as President from his encouragement and wisdom.

"An important chapter in our history has come to an end. Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States Senator of our time."

"And the Kennedy family has lost their patriarch, a tower of strength and support through good times and bad.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to them today--to his wonderful wife, Vicki, his children Ted Jr., Patrick and Kara, his grandchildren and his extended family."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful post. So many of us feel the same way.