Search 2.0

Monday, August 3, 2009

The New York Times on Texas Tech's 2009 football season


Only in the Big 12 South could a team as talented as Texas Tech be relegated to second-tier status. This is the case because of a pair of teams in Oklahoma and Texas who will rank in the top five, and another in Oklahoma State which could perhaps squeeze into the preseason top 10. Unfortunately, the Red Raiders need to play all three. I have no doubt that the offense – which I don’t think will miss a beat – will hang with this talented opponents, but I’m unsure if the defense has what it takes to lift Tech above eight regular-season wins. Not that victories aren’t there for the taking: North Dakota, Rice, New Mexico, Kansas State, A&M, Kansas and Baylor should all be victories. Nebraska and Houston are toss-ups (I think Tech will beat U.H., however), as is, to a lesser degree, Oklahoma State. But there are two clear favorites in the South this year, Oklahoma and Texas. I’m not predicting any major drop-off for the Raiders, but I doubt this team’s ability to again finish atop the division. My prediction: 8-4, 4-4 in the Big 12.

No comments: