Search 2.0

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Paul a Maverick?


When you're watching this Easter weekend's home-and-home series between the Dallas Mavericks and the New Orleans Hornets, watch the play of point guard Chris Paul and then ask yourself: "How would I like to see him playing for the Dallas Mavericks next season."

Personally, I think this possibility is remote (although it has me drooling), but others are saying it could happen. The word is that the Mavs will trade Josh Howard, Erick Dampier and Jerry Stackhouse to New Orleans for Paul, Tyson Chandler and Pedja Stojakovic. That sounds like a steal to me, so why would New Orleans even contemplate what seems like such a one-sided trade? The reason, I'm told, is the state of the economy which is forcing New Orleans to consider a "desperate, cost-cutting deal."

The Mavs, on the other hand, would inherit some unwieldy contracts, especially Stojakovic's, who is way over-paid for the contributions he is making. Still, although his best days are history, he is more than just an adequate replacement for Howard at starting small forward. Chandler would also be an adequate replacement for Dampier and it would keep the Paul-Chandler duo together (I still have nightmares about the way those two alley-ooped the Mavs to death in last year's playoffs.) I also think Chandler's rebounding ability would free up Dirk a little more than what Dampier has been able to do.

The question, of course, is what becomes of Jason Kidd if this deal goes down. I don't know the answer to that other than to let him become a free agent. I can't see re-signing Kidd, only to have him come off the bench, although that would be a wonderful luxury. I don't think he would go for it, however.

But I will say this, if Mark Cuban can get Chris Paul to Dallas, I'll be ready to forgive him for the Devin Harris trade.

No comments: