Search 2.0

Friday, October 3, 2008

This just in: Candace Parker is good

I've only seen Candace Parker play a couple of times and those were on television --during the University of Tennessee's championship run last season and this year with the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA. I remember her scoring 34 points in her very first pro game. My only surprise was that she couldn't carry the Sparks to the WNBA championship. But in the pro games I saw her play, she looked like a seasoned veteran.

Last night she was named the WNBA's Rookie of the Year. No surprise there. However, the official coronation will come tonight when I'm betting she also be named the league's MVP. I could be wrong, but all signs are pointing in that direction. Only two other basketball players have accomplished that dual feat: Wilt Chamberlain in 1960 and Wes Unseld in 1969.

What kind of year did she have? Let's see. She averaged 18.5 points a game (fourth best in the league), 9.5 rebounds (best in the league), and 2.3 blocks (second best). She shot 52.3 percent from the field and averaged 3.4 assists a game.

No comments: